Smorgas (1858); Mole (1901); Batik (1857)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jul 23 21:14:19 UTC 2001

SMORGAS

   OED and M-W have "smorgasbord" from 1893.

NOTHERN TRAVEL:
SUMMER AND WINTER PICTURES OF SWEDEN, DENMARK AND LAPLAND
by Bayard Taylor
G. P. Putnam, NY
1858 (although copyright is 1857)

Pg. 46:
   They gave us a supper consisting of _smorgas_ ("buttergoose"--the Swedish prelude to a meal, consisting usually of bread, butter, pickled anchovies, and caviar flavored with garlic), sausages, potatoes with milk, and made for us sumptuous beds of the snowiest and sweetest linen.

MOLE

   What does the revised OED have for the Mexican "mole"?

MEXICO AS I SAW IT
by Mrs. Alec Tweedie
Herst and Blackett Limited, London
1901

Pg. 247:
   The more wary housekeeper takes her turkey into the patio, feeds it for a week, and only puts it into "mole," stew with chilli, when plump and fat.  It is interesting to note that the turkey is indigenous to Mexico.

   Jesse wants more context.

STORIES OF THE ISLAND WORLD
by Charles Nordhoff
Harper & Brothers, NY
1857

Pg. 118:
   Sir Stamford Raffles mentions no less than thirty different handicrafts as being practiced among the Javanese.  As Albert likes to hear words in a foreign language, I will give you a list of these trades, with the names by which they are known in Javan: ironsmith, _paudi_; coppersmith, _sayang_; goldsmith (Pg. 119--ed.), _kemasan_; potter, _kundi_; kris-sheath-maker, _merang'gi_; carpenter, _mergangso_; carver, _tukang ukir_; spear-shaft-maker, _tukang deder_; mat-maker, _tukang lampet_; turner, _tukang babot_; brush-maker, _tukang boto_; stone-cutter, _tukang watu_; wayang-maker, _tukang natah wayang_; musical-instrument-maker, _tukang gending_; brazier, _tukang keming'an_.  The word _tukang_ signifies, I suppose, a _worker in any thing_.  I will finish the list without repeating this word, which occurs before every one of the following names: _ara_, a distiller; _jilid_, a bookbinder; _tenuso_, a weaver; _batik_, a cotton printer; _medal_, a dyer; _leng'o_, an oil-maker, !
_nioro-wedi_, a diamond-cutter;
_deluwang_, a paper-maker; _paudom_, a tailor; _sulam_, an embroiderer; _jait_, a seamstress; _sung'ging_, a draftsman; _chat_, a painter; _pasah_, a tooth-filer.