Virus Warning!!!!

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Tue Jul 24 22:49:12 UTC 2001

Recently I received an e-mail apparently carrying the SirCam worm. I
deleted the attachment without executing it, and now I think all is well.

This worm (like some others) sends copies of itself as attachments to
addresses recorded in the e-mail application on the infected machine. So
the bad e-mail has a recognized sender, and the attachment has a name
copied from the sender's documents so it looks OK too. The text says
"Please help me with this file" or something like that.

My recommendation: do not open or execute any attachment before verifying
the authenticity of the message by e-mailing the putative sender. It might
be a good idea to make restrictive settings on one's e-mail program also. I
still don't feel safe ....

-- Doug Wilson