Settlement Cook Book (1903): Huevos Rancheros (1901)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jul 25 06:42:03 UTC 2001

"THE SETTLEMENT" COOK BOOK
Milwaukee, Wis.
1903

   I have just the first one.  However, I could easily get the other, revised editions.

Berliner Pfann Kuchen...23
Bundt Kuchen...24
Matzos Balls...48 (Under "soups"--ed.)
Kugel...105
Mushkazunge...139

   No "Dutch Apple Cake."  No "spaetzle."
   AMERICAN COOKERY magazine, June/July 1938-May 1939, has:

Dutch Apple Pie...51
Dutch Apple Cake...288

HUEVOS RANCHEROS

   OED?  DARE?
   John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK has:

_huevos rancheros._  A Mexican dish of fried eggs set on tortillas and covered with a tomato-and-chile-pepper sauce.  The dish has become a staple of Mexican-American menus, especially as a brunch or luncheon item.  The name is from the Spanish for "ranch eggs" and, as "eggs ranchera," dates in print to 1932 in Sheilah Hibben's _National Cookbook_.

   As I've been saying, this food stuff is just horrible.  1932?
   From MEXICO AS I SAW IT (1901) by Mrs. Alec Tweedie, pg. 203:

   Dish No. 1 was _Huevos Rancheros_, which means eggs served ranche fashion.  A couple of eggs are fried for a portion, put on to a plate and covered over with chilli sauce.  Everything Meican has chilli in it, and, not infrequently, garlic!  How the folk eat all the peppers, chillis, and survive, is marvellous, but they do!

ROOF OF THE WORLD

   Popular term for the Himalayas.
   From A VISIT TO INDIA, CHINA AND JAPAN IN 1853 (1855) by Bayard Taylor, pg. 189:

   ...called, in the pictureqsue language of the Tartars, the "Roof of the World."  (Himalayas--ed.)

   From NORTHERN TRAVEL (1858) by Bayard Taylor, pg. 147:

   Not the table-land of Pamir, in Thibet, the cradle of the Oxus and the Indus, but this lower Lapland terrace, is entitled to the designation of the "Roof of the World."

VENICE OF THE NORTH (continued)

   St. Petersburg lied to me.
   From NORTHERN TRAVEL (1858) by Bayard Taylor, pg. 197:

   The Swedes are proud of Stockholm, and justly so.  No European capital, except Constantinople (Istanbul, not Constantinople--ed.), can boast such picturesque beauty of position, and none whatever affords so great a range of shifting yet ever lovely aspects.  Travellers are fond of calling it, in the imitative nomenclature of commonplace, the "Venice of the North"--but it is no Venice.