"gomer" (was: Air Force Language (1962); Medical Slang (1994))

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Jul 26 16:19:15 UTC 2001

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Laurence Horn wrote:

> I seem to recall rustic--or non-rustic--simpletons also being dubbed
> "Homer" (well back before Homer Simpson, whose dubbers may have
> exploited this tendency).

I believe the major characters on the Simpsons are named after members of
Matt Groening's real-life family.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,