Maury Paul & Lucius Beebe

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Fri Jul 27 01:18:15 UTC 2001

My American Lit professor once described "Lucius Beebe" as "a professional
snob" and claimed that Beebe responded to the publication of "Europe on Five
Dollars a Day" by writing "Europe on One Hundred Dollars a Day".

Seriously, Beebe was also a serious and respected railroad historian, who
wrote at least eleven books on railroad history, plus fourteen others in
collaboration with Charles Clegg.  I once saw a picture (in, IIRC _The Ma and
Pa_ by George Hilton) of Beebe and Clegg, in top hats and formal clothes,
riding a gondola on the "Ma and Pa" (Maryland and Pennsylvania RR).

     - Jim Landau