"Big Apple" prostitution etymology, pt. 2

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jun 1 00:56:54 UTC 2001

At 11:50 AM +0100 6/1/01, Jonathon Green wrote:
>My slang database offers the following sexual connotations for Apples. Like
>Jonathan Lighter, I have nothing specific to the 19C.

Anyone interested in this general topic should be sure not to miss
Theo Vennemann's work on this, as summarized in his Linguist List
posting 9.421, "Apple-Word" (Mar. 20, 1998, available through the
archives at www.linguistlist.org) and in more detail in his article
in the Proceedings of the 9th Annual UCLA Indo-European Conference
under the name "Andromeda and the Apples of the Hesperides".  But the
majority of the references are to the male genitalia and thus not
directly germane to the (pseudo-)etymology under discussion here.

larry