Salad Bar (1937); Doughnut Holes; Bagels

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jun 5 03:50:23 UTC 2001

SALAD BAR (continued)

   From THIS WEEK magazine in the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 4 April 1937, pg. 18:

_SALAD BAR_
_TAKES A BOW_
And all those to whom salad-making
is an art applaud, an an invaluable aid, this
new "star" in home equipment
by ELOISE DAVISON
   AND now a salad bar--and why not?

(The thing is on wheels in the photos here.  Check it out--ed.)

DOUGHNUT HOLES

"Doughnut holes," the dough ball supposedly from the center of the doughnut, have been sold separately at least since the 1960s.
--John Mariani, ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK

   From Clementine Paddleford's column in the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 27 February 1937, pg. 16, col. 8:

   DOUGHTNUT HOLE--One of the best things in the doughnut line, but with the silliest name, is a "puffle wuffle," reported by Helen M. Condon and found in one of our dignified chains.  These are round doughnuts, not an inch big, sold in eight-ounce bags for 10 cents.  At last we can eat the doughnut's hole, for we suspect these are made of the cut-outs from the regular bake.  Nice for an afternoon coffee klatch.

BAGELS (continued)

   The U.S. Patent & Trademark Office (tess.uspto.gov) reports Lender's with a first use in 1927, but the filing date appears to be 1980.

MISC.

   No one made a request for "polka dots," so I didn't look.  The NYPL Performing Arts Library is across town and kills the whole day.  THE NYPL-PAL is moving back to its Lincoln Center home on October 15th.  I'd generally like to avoid the place until then.
   I'll be in Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, and St. Petersburg (Russia) from Saturday, June 9th, until Saturday, June 23rd.  Hold all your etymology until--well, maybe August.