No subject

Felton, Robert RFelton at ISA.ORG
Tue Jun 5 16:36:53 UTC 2001

>> Ah yes, I, too, recall the Golden Age of the English language in America,
>> before it (and critical thinking) "degenerated." Lets see: was this the
Viet Nam war era,
>> when we destroyed villages in order to save them? The McCarthy era, when
pinko
>> ideology threatened to destroy our cultural fabric? The 1930s, when
reefer madness was
>> invented? The 1920's ... ? Etc. etc.
>> Anyone who seriously believes in "linguistic degeneration" ought to give
SOME kind
>> of cursory look at the relationship between language and culture in ANY
cultural moment
>> prior to the past ten minutes. Language does not "degenerate": idiots
abound in human
>> history, and they think stupid things and create stupid phrases to go
with their stupid ideas.

The screeching misuse of words such as 'racist' and 'xenophobe' have cost
them their sting; they've become catch-all imprecations that nobody listens
to because they're used too casually and inappropriately.  Certainly that is
a loss, or degeneration.
I've no idea what the rest of your post is about.
Bob Felton