No subject

Sat Jun 9 14:32:52 UTC 2001

A very tough question (although one might ask how one keeps
well-educated speakers from recognizing as grammatical constructions
which they have learned in their "post-vernacular," albeit first
language, acquisition period and perhpas have nothing but assessments
of them which stem from their linguistic security (and not their
underlying linguistic competence, but, oddly, we never seem to worry
about that.)

in the fieldwork and methodology section of Wolfram and Fasold's The
Study of Social Dialects in American English (Prentice-Hall 1974);
you'll find some surprisngly interesting suggestions there, -
surprising becuase they haven't so often been taken up in work since
then.

You might also think about laboratory "reaction time" experiments, in
which underlying grammars might be elicited - not categorically but
with different response time reactions to sentences presented for
"evaluation," presumbely not allowing the social overlay you decribe
to come into play. These are tough to design but, it seems to me, are
very promising.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston