Where is the "head shop"?

Bethany K. Dumas dumasb at UTKUX.UTCC.UTK.EDU
Sat Jun 16 01:58:30 UTC 2001

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Douglas Bigham wrote:

>I've probably just over looked it.  But, I can't find "head
shop" anywhere (OED Online most importantly).  I wanted to know if the
"head" part related to (Grateful) Dead-heads, but I'm at loss here. >I
know this is a common word (a place where one buys marijuana-smoking
accessories) and I know it is NOT exclusive to Southern Illinois. Am I
missing something?  Do y'all know this term?  Can anyone help me on the
history?

I know it as an old 60s term -

Bethany