head shop and RHHDAS

Bethany K. Dumas dumasb at UTKUX.UTCC.UTK.EDU
Sat Jun 16 11:30:27 UTC 2001

I have not discussed head shop with Jon L. At one time, however, he and I
were in agreement that slang terms can be identified partly because they
exist as alternative terms for things with "standard" names - so in
one sense, head shop does not appear to be slang - what would be the
"standard term"? It's head shop, I think. Isn't it?

Jon and I published an American Speech article about this - "Is Slang a
Word for Linguists?" 53.1:1Ð5, 17 (1978).

Bethany