Embraced by the "lite"

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Mon Jun 18 02:40:54 UTC 2001

>As for LITE itself, AHD4 provides a perfectly serviceable definition
>and a lovely cite--
>
>Slang,
>Having less substance or weight or fewer calories than something else: "lite
>music, shimmering on the surface and squishy soft at the core" (Mother Jones).
>ETYMOLOGY:  Alteration of light2

Random House: "an informal, simplified spelling of light ...".

M-W (Web): "variant of light ...".

[both specifying which "light"]

To me "lite" seems better described as "spelling variant" or so than as
"slang".

The FDA treats "lite" as a spelling variant of "light" and the use in US
food labeling is restricted the same regardless of the spelling AFAIK: for
example (http://www.fda.gov/fdac/special/foodlabel/lite.html):

<<"Light" or "lite" can mean one of two things:

First, that a nutritionally altered product contains one-third fewer
calories or half the fat of the reference food. If the food derives 50
percent or more of its calories from fat, the reduction must be 50 percent
of the fat.

Second, that the sodium content of a low-calorie, low-fat food has been
reduced by 50 percent.>>

I believe "Lite" beer was first marketed by Meister Brau in 1967. Miller
bought it, and defended "Lite" against Falstaff's use later ... but I'm not
sure whether still later rulings may have returned "Lite" to the generic
fold as a form of "Light". I'll do some research at the local bar later ....

-- Doug Wilson