"Alls I Need..."

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Mon Jun 18 20:47:03 UTC 2001

mark mandel:

 >On a side note, have y'all noticed the use of "that" with relative
 >pronouns?, as in (made-up example)

 >   Whoever that needs a notebook can get it from Larry.

this made-up example is interestingly off most of the examples
that have been collected.  the following would be more likely:

   Whichever person that needs a notebook can get it from Larry.

for discussion (and references to some earlier research), see
seppa"nen & trotta and my article in press:

Seppa"nen, Aimo & Joe Trotta.  2000.  The wh- + that pattern in
present-day English.  Kirk 2000:161-75.

Kirk, John M. (ed.). 2000. Corpora galore: Analyses and techniques in
describing English. Amsterdam: Rodopi.

Zwicky, Arnold M.  In press. I wonder what kind of construction that
this example illustrates.  D. Beaver, S. Kaufmann, B. Clark, &
L. Casillas (eds.), Stanford Papers on Semantics.  Stanford CA: CSLI
Publications.