..heh...[humph?]

Thomas Paikeday t.paikeday at SYMPATICO.CA
Fri Jun 22 01:07:57 UTC 2001

I do think "heh" is a greeting and used not just in chat rooms. A young
lady I know (a socalled "native speaker") uses it as the first word of
the greeting on her answerer. Didn't Fonzie of "Happy Days" use to use a
greeting of this kind?

If I may stray a little off-topic, another interjection that I don't
find defined adequately in dictionaries is "humph" (and variations such
as "hmmm"). When it is uttered as a question, "hmm" sounds like a
challenge to me, as in "I think you are wrong." Response: "Hmm?" which
is not an expression of rumination, contemplation, etc. I have tried to
do justice to this second meaning in my User's(R) Webster.

TOM PAIKEDAY, lexicographer.