heh

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Fri Jun 22 18:14:59 UTC 2001

In newsgroups, mostly rec.music.filk, it's often used as a chuckle,
constituting or beginning a response to something someone else has said.
That's a single "heh". Doubled or tripled, it's (mock-)evil laughter,
sometimes accompanied by the string "<eg>" (without quotes), which means
not "exempli gratia" but "evil grin".

My 20yo son, who does A LOT of IRC-ing, uses single "heh" as a chuckle, as
described above, when I send him something amusing. He often uses the
string
     ^_^
as a smiley. He tells me that non-rotated smileys are common to standard
among anime fans online.

-- Mark A. Mandel