Confirmed Bachelor

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Sun Jun 24 20:08:29 UTC 2001

Beverly Flanigan said:
>Neither have I.  Is this British, but not American, code?
>
>At 12:46 PM 6/22/01 -0700, James Smith wrote:
>>Maybe I'm just naive, but I've never associated
>>"bachelor" or "confirned bachelor" with homosexual.
>>

>>--- Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM wrote:
>> > What is the history and geography of "bachelor" or
>> > "confirmed bachelor" as
>> > a euphemism for "male homosexual"?

I think I've heard the expression used in contexts where it clearly
referred to "male homosexual", but I don't think it's conventionalized in
ways that expressions like "not the marrying kind" are.

Alice
--
Alice Faber                                       tel. (203) 865-6163
Haskins Laboratories                              fax  (203) 865-8963
270 Crown St                                   faber at haskins.yale.edu
New Haven, CT 06511                               afaber at wesleyan.edu