Slang Tests (1938); Break a leg

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jun 28 15:36:55 UTC 2001

BREAK A LEG (continued)

   From Lucius Beebe's column in the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 23 April 1938, pg. 6(?), col. 1:

   Lauritz Melchior won't sing until his wife has wished him a Scandinavian godspeed, which, in transalation, means: "Here's wishing (Col. 2--ed.) you a broken leg."

SLANG TESTS

   Here are two more.  Check to see if you're the weakest link.  These didn't run every week.
   From THIS WEEK magazine, NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, pg. 13, col. 1:

   _How's Your Slang?_
DEFINITION             A          B         C
1. $1000              "C" note    grand     buckeroo
2. a man or boy       frail       fagin     guy
3. nonsense           monkey-meat piffle    drag
4. crazy              dinky       peachy    wacky
5. a pickpocket       dumb-bell   dip       shrimp
6. an unfair person   beezer      live-wire chiseler
7. a dilemma          pickle      calaboose flivver
8. overhead coat      hang-over   nut       red-spot
9. luxurious          dizzy       dainty    swanky
10. intoxicated       pie-eyed    hopped-up gyped

Pg. 27, col. 4:
   "Slang" Answers
1. B
2. C
3. B
4. C
5. B
6. C
7. A
8. B
9. C
10. A

   From THIS WEEK magazine, NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, pg. 8, col. 4:

   _Test Your Slang_
DEFINITION          A           B          C
1. a nose           cauliflower dud        schnozzle
2. a plot           flicker     frame-up   spill
3. to punch         sock        hock       frisk
4. to pay           bunk        swipe      shell out
5. father           lieutenant  chump      governor
6. malicious gossip twiddle     dirt       heeby-jeebies
7. to exhibit       sport       junk       swat
8. a victim         low-brow    sucker     rat
9. a head           dome        clip-joint goat
10. in wrong        to hock     in dutch   in kick

Pg. 27, col. 1:
   "Slang" Answers
1. C
2. B
3. A
4. C
5. C
6. B
7. A
8. B
9. A
10. B

PERSONAL

   I will be in Iceland and Greenland from June 30-July 20th.  It's about a week longer that I'd like, but Bobby Fischer said he needs me for a second in his match against Boris Spassky.  He needs me to buy him a $5 can of soda.