Vegan prescriptivism

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Fri Jun 29 16:43:34 UTC 2001

>Just ran across this site which promotes 'animal friendly' alternatives to
>common sayings.  Includes suggestion that you say "I have a bean to pick
>with you" rather than "I have a bone to pick with you."

Why would vegan sensibilities be less offended by substituting  our friends
the veggies in expressions that are somehow now not "animal friendly?"
Would "that play was a real pumpkin" improve on "it was a turkey"?
Perhaps ragweed & poison ivy would qualify as substitutes for dogs and snakes.
A. Murie