disameliorative effect of euphemisms

Tony Glaser tonyglaser at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Mar 1 03:09:46 UTC 2001

>Consider inoffensive, eponymous Thomas Crapper.

Yes. I used to know David Crapper, a great-grandson (I believe) of
Thomas, at the same illustrious academic institution Lynne Murcphy is
at, and recall him saying that when he got married he would take on
his wife's name. I always thought it was ironic, to be so successful
in inventing something that your descendants have to change their
name to avoid their association with your eponymous success.

Tony Glaser