Juan de Fuca

ANNE V. GILBERT avgilbert at PRODIGY.NET
Thu Mar 1 18:51:25 UTC 2001

Mark:

> I've not seen 'Seattle Rattle' yet, but I'm pretty sure it will happen.
'Ash
> Wednesday Earthquake', a la the Alaska Good Friday Earthquake of 64 (or
so),
> however, is likely to become the popular name.
>
> The earthquake is said to be caused by the Juan de Fuca plate subducting
> under the North American plate. There is also Juan de Fuca Strait. All the
> talking heads are very careful with this one, making sure the first vowel
in
> 'Fuca' is that of 'boot'.
>
> Pronouncing 'fuca' as 'fuchsia' makes for some salaciously homophonous and
> homographous fun.

First off, everybody in Washingon State knows "Fuca" in the Strait of Juan
de Fuca has the same first syllable as "boot".  It's outsiders that don't
know the difference.  That's one of the ways you can "tell" who was born
here and who wasn't.  So we'll be able to tell how much the talking heads
know. . . . .Second, I haven't heard  "Seattle Rattle", but I've heard the
Battle in Seattle for the WTO riots of November 1999.  And we might have
gotten Rattled in Seattle, but like you, my bet is on Ash Wednesday
Earthquake.
Anne Gilbert