"Gen up"

Duane Campbell dcamp911 at JUNO.COM
Thu Mar 1 17:51:10 UTC 2001

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001 09:14:55 -0600 Dick Heaberlin <Heaberlin at SWT.EDU>
writes:
> On NPR news this morning, I heard the reporter say something like
> "Bush is
> trying to "gen up" support for his tax cut." I had never before
> heard that
> expression. Is it familiar to the rest of you?

Gin up, pronounced like gin and tonic. From engine. Actually George W.
used the term himself yesterday, so I had assumed that it was current in
Texas. I use the phrase in Pennsylvania.

Overall I am just happy that NPR is coming to terms with the fact that
Bush is now the President. It has been a difficult passage for them.