"Gen up"

Natalie Maynor maynor at CS.MSSTATE.EDU
Thu Mar 1 22:57:57 UTC 2001

Dick Heaberlin wrote:

> As a East Texan who pronounces "pen" and "pin" the same way, I probably
> wouldn't have noticed the difference between "gen" and "gin." But I have

What I said earlier about computer networks may well have been "gin"
instead of "gen."  I never saw it written but assumed that it was
related to "generate."  I happen to know that "generate" is spelled
"gen" rather than "gin," but that's from reading, not from hearing.
"Gen" and "gin" are homophonous for me -- and for the people I heard
talking about the computer network.
   --Natalie Maynor (maynor at ra.msstate.edu)