dialect in novels

Duane Campbell dcamp911 at JUNO.COM
Fri Mar 2 17:22:33 UTC 2001

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001 10:36:36 EST "James A. Landau" <JJJRLandau at AOL.COM>
writes:

> None.  I deduced the existence of a rule based on evidence which I
> had just
> cited.

Isn't that the way rules are usually made?

We live in an "orderly" universe because scientists have observed what
they can, fit the phenomena into a structure, and called it a rule,
implying that what is happening is happening because it has to. In fact
we are living in the middle of an explosion. I think as a simile it
applies rather well aptly to language.