All Your Base Are Belong To Us

Drew Danielson drew.danielson at CMU.EDU
Sat Mar 3 18:44:40 UTC 2001

High up on a seemingly impossible place on Wean Hall at Carnegie Mellon
U., in 2-foot tall chalk letters, someone wrote "ALL YOUR BACON ARE
BELONG TO US" recently.  This variation may be based on the fact that
some person or persons have been putting round orange stickers with the
word "Bacon" on signs and posters all over campus for the past year or
so.  I kid you not.

"A. Maberry" wrote:

> I noticed this for the first time on campus earlier this week. Next to it,
> someone had written in different color chalk "What you say?". I certainly
> had no idea it was part of a national fad.
>
> allen
> maberry at u.washington.edu
>
> On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Tony Glaser wrote:
>
> > Is anyone familiar with the "All Your Base Are Belong To Us"
> > phenomenon? Is this the first time that a mistranslated Japanese
> > phrase has entered the English language world in such a big way? I've
> > seen various items of Japanese English pseudo-nonsense, mainly
> > written on cheap backpacks, carrier bags, or sneakers, but I haven't
> > seen any which have been promulgated by native English speakers as a
> > result. It seems it's really becoming a catch-phrase.
> >
> > (If not, check out articles at
> > http://hubert.retrogames.com/history.htm
> > http://www.salon.com/tech/inbox/archives/2001/02/27/1424/index.html
> >
> > or the baffling thing itself at
> > http://rmitz.org/AYB3.swf
> >

> > Tony Glaser

Andrew Danielson                   Admin for Profs. Fedder, Gabriel
 Carnegie Mellon University                      Krogh, & Rajkumar
  Electrical & Computer                     +1 412 268-2188 Voice
   Engineering Department                    +1 412 268-3890 Fax
    5000 Forbes Ave.              http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~dmunk
     Pittsburgh, PA  15213              drew.danielson at cmu.edu