Mongole Soup (1897)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 4 01:58:22 UTC 2001

STANDARD
AMERICAN
COOK BOOK
(...)
PUBLISHED BY
THE CROWELL & KIRKPATRICK CO.,
SPRINGFIELD, OHIO.
1897

Pg. 48:
   MONGOLE SOUP.
   Place a saucepan with half a pint of dried peas over the fire, cover with cold beef stock, boil until tender, and then pass through a sieve.  Cut on medium-sized, well-cleaned carrot into thin slices, lay several slices over one another, and cut into strips like straws; cut one white onion the same way, and add to this one leek cut fine.  Place the vegetables over the fire, with one tablespoonful of butter; cook ten minutes, then cover with one pint of boiling meat stock, and cook until tender.  Stew one half of a can of tomatoes, with
1/2 tablespoonful of butter,
1/2 teaspoonful of salt,
1/4 teaspoonful of pepper,
1 teaspoonful of sugar.
For twenty minutes, and then strain.  As soon as the vegetables are done, add the pea puree, the strained tomatoes and one quart of good stock; cook for a few minutes, season to taste, and serve.
   Mrs. Gesine Lemecke, Principal German-American Cooking College, Brooklyn, N. Y.

(See my prior posting on this soup.  Mariani cites Jean Anderson, whose AMERICAN CENTURY COOKBOOK devotes two pages to Mongole Soup and dates it to about 1935...Lemecke has written cookbooks, but I haven't checked them all--ed.)