Jism, was: "Jazz" did not have a sexual origin

Mon Mar 5 21:02:24 UTC 2001

I was undoubtedly influenced by the "jism/jasm"
discussion going on when I came across "ji" in the
Dickens book.  "Ji" does fit with simply being "joy"
in the dialect of the old seaman.

--- "Douglas G. Wilson" <douglas at NB.NET> wrote:
>  From A. Murie:
>
> >I think it more than likely this is "joy," though
> it does seem an odd way
> >to spell it if it was meant to rhyme with /sky./
>
> I tend to agree.
>
> I see "jintly", presumably = "jointly" in the same
> work.
>
> -- Doug Wilson

=====
SLC, UT                        |it is that we will be sued