"hole punch" (semi-followup on "chad")

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue Mar 6 17:46:08 UTC 2001

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> Have any of you "chad" scholars found an example of "hole punch"
> (meaning either 'device used to punch holes in paper' or 'small
> piece of paper created by such a device') before 1967? The
> ADS-L discussion of "chad" has a lot of stuff about punching
> holes, but I'm looking for this collocation itself.

Although I am a very minor chad scholar, here are my contributions to hole
punch scholarship:

1964 _Court of Customs and Patent Appeals Reports_ LI. 69  The Government
appeals from the judgment of the Customs Court which overruled the
collector's classification of the involved leather hole punch and eyelet
fastener.

1966 _Customs Court Reports_ LVI. 506  Hand-operated paper hole punches.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,