Who is "she"?

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Tue Mar 6 22:17:31 UTC 2001

At the risk of being redundant, since I just got back on the list after a
week's absence, here are the verses I remember, followed by the specific
exclamations that followed each one:

Oh, we'll all go out to meet her when she comes...
"Hi, babe!"
She'll be drivin' six white horses...
"Whoa, back!"
She'll be wearin' pink pajamas...
(wolf whistle)
We will kill the old red rooster...
(sound of strangling rooster)
Oh, we'll all have chicken and dumplings...
[I don't remember the response to this one.  "Yum yum"?]
She will have to sleep with grandma...
"Aw, heck!"

Sorry, but I can't see how this could be about a train.

Peter Mc.

> I can't recall any of the other stanzas, but, for some reason, I assumed
> that  "she" was a train.  In fact, I can recall people's hooting after
> each line. I, too, had immediately assumed it was a train and was about
> to reply to that effect. But then I ran through verses in my head, and
> came to, "She'll be driving six white horses when she comes." A train
> wouldn't drive horses, would it?  She?  But I find it interesting that
> there is the firm impression of a train in more than one mind. D

                               Peter A. McGraw
                   Linfield College   *   McMinnville, OR
                            pmcgraw at linfield.edu