Linguistician -- Sic transit gloria mundi

Rudolph C Troike rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed Mar 7 05:50:30 UTC 2001

On the ADS-L of all places, I'm surprised that no one mentioned the
wonderful parody by Fred Cassidy "A Model Linguistician". It dates to the
1960s or earlier, celebrating pre-Chomskyan scientific linguistics.

The term was tossed about as a solution to the perennial problem of being
introduced as a "linguist", and being asked "how many languages do you
speak", and having to explain that you only speak English but analyze half
a dozen languages the inquirer never heard of, including several dead
ones. But it was never seriously adopted by anyone, to my knowledge.

        Rudy