have cow, be buccarooed on

Peter Richardson prichard at LINFIELD.EDU
Wed Mar 7 22:39:00 UTC 2001

Discussing horses recently with a colleague, I heard for the first time
the expression "to have cow" used not to mean 'be upset,' but rather 'be a
cutting horse.' For example (and Barry would love this, I'll wager), the
catalog for the Range Ready Sale of bulls, heifers, ranch horses, stock
dogs, etc., held last month in Madras (Oregon), says of one 3-year old
gelding: "He's a cowboy's cowhorse, he can travel, he can rope, he can
handle and he's got cow." Then there's a horse named Grasslands Hot Toddy,
a "super athletic gelding with lots of cow; has been roped on." Finally,
of a 4-year-old:  "He'll pull anything, he runs barrels, and has been
buckarooed on."

I don't have DARE here in my office; anything familiar here?

Peter R.