Fwd: CFP SEMA

Sonja L. Lanehart lanehart at ARCHES.UGA.EDU
Thu Mar 8 01:26:02 UTC 2001

FYI for those not on the HEL list but are interested in or teach in
the area.  --Sonja

>Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 12:02:01 -0500
>Sender: owner-hel-l at wiz.cath.vt.edu
>From: Micheal Crafton <mcrafton at westga.edu>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <hel-l at wiz.cath.vt.edu>
>Subject: CFP SEMA
>
>CFP for SEMA 2001 New Orleans
>
>Teaching the History of the English Language
>
>I am looking for proposals to participate in a panel discussion that
>I am organizing for the 27th Annual Southeast Medieval Association
>Conference (October 18-20, 2001), to be held in the French Quarter
>in New Orleans.  The topic relates to teaching the history of the
>English language.  I am particularly interested in the changing
>nature of this course and how it has been or should be shaped to
>meet the particular demands and educational backgrounds of students
>at different universities.   Should students be taught this course
>in a way fundamentally different from that which is implied in the
>traditional textbooks by Baugh and Cable, Pyles and Algeo?  Should
>the course be designed with different demands for secondary
>education majors and traditional English majors? In short, what are
>(or should be) the varieties of this course?
>
>Please let me know as soon as possible if you are interested in
>being a part of this panel.
>
>Prof. Micheal Crafton
>English Department
>State University of West Georgia
>Carrollton, GA 30118
>
>V: 770-836-6512
>mcrafton at westga.edu

Sonja L. Lanehart
Department of English                 706-542-2260 (office)
University of Georgia                 706-542-1261 (messages)
300 Park Hall                         706-542-2181 (fax)
Athens, GA 30602-6205                 lanehart at arches.uga.edu