dwarves, sussing, and the weakest link...

Bruce Dykes bkd at GRAPHNET.COM
Thu Mar 8 10:06:36 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Beverly Flanigan" <flanigan at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 14:59
Subject: dwarves etc.

> Two interesting tidbits were in this week's issue of _Newsweek_:
> 1) In the cover story on Mad Cow Disease, human growth hormone is
mentioned
> as helping "dwarves" reach more normal heights (Mar. 12, p. 55).  The
> spelling is also used in the Table of Contents blurb about the writing of
> the story.  I've used both variants all my life, with the voiced form more
> dominant recently.  What did the title of the Walt Disney movie use?

Dwarfs, according to the IMDB. It was those sorts of dwarfs that Tolkien was
trying to distance his own dwarves from. Could you picture any of Snow
White's little friends having Alberich as a relative?

> 2) The same article says that "anyone with a television has ... maybe even
> sussed out the connection" between various animal and human brain diseases
> discussed.  Sussed out < suspicioned out/suspected?    The article  has
> multiple authors, but two are from London.  The phrase is totally new to
> me--Jesse?

One of my favorite imports, along with "knackered." I also heard an american
using suss on CNN the other day...I forget when and where exactly, but I do
recall that it was one of their guest analysts, or commentators, or
consultants, or whatever. Between PBS and A&E, I think it'll wind up
sticking around a while. It's just too useful...

There was an article in my paper yesterday about the latest game show to be
imported from Europe, from the UK this time, where the hostess, a former
television journalist ejects contestants who miss questions with the phrase
"You are the weakest link. Goodbye."

Any truth to the article's allegation that that phrase has become all the
rage in England?

bkd