"Italglish" (like Spanglish)

jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Fri Mar 9 12:48:20 UTC 2001

I don't know of any articles about this phenomenon, but I couldn't
resist making my own contribution to your list.  My maternal
grandmother and her brothers (who moved to Lawrence, MA from
Catania, Sicily near the end of the first world war) used to call the
bathroom something that sounded like  "baKOWzu," which, as I
found out much later, was actually the English phrase "back
house" pronounced with a Sicilian accent.  (But maybe that would
be considered a loanword rather than an example of "Itaglish.")

Joanne Despres
Merriam-Webster