dimes

Boatti, Stephen SBoatti at TVRATINGS.COM
Mon Mar 12 16:40:59 UTC 2001

Yes, of course. A tithe equals a tenth of your income.

Steve

 -----Original Message-----
From:   James Smith [mailto:jsmithjamessmith at YAHOO.COM]
Sent:   Friday, March 09, 2001 6:38 PM
To:     ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject:        Re: dimes

--- AAllan at AOL.COM wrote:
> From (ahem!) _America in So Many Words_ by Barnhart
> & Metcalf (Houghton
> Mifflin, 1997 & 1999):
>
> 1786 Dime

.... proposing
> the names for the coins
> of the new nation. Among them was disme, based on
> the French word for
> "tenth," dixième. He suggested that disme be
> pronounced as if it were spelled
> deem. But the s was dropped by the Congress, and the
> adopted spelling dime
> suggested pronunciation in keeping with time and
> rime. . . .

The French pronounced "disme" with the "s" silent  -
"deem" - in the late 17th century, and by the late
18th century had dropped the silent "s" from the
written word (this was common at this time with
numerous words that contained a silent "s") to make it
"dime", with a caret over the vowel preceding where
the now-missing "s" had been, to indicate it had been
there (why they persist in keeping track of all these
removed silent "s"s in this way I don't know.)  In
French, "disme" and "dime" mean "tithe" and usage is
generally limited to this sense, but it could be
understood broadly as "a tenth".

=====
SLC, UT                        |it is that we will be sued