CLIK/CLEEK & NATIVE SPEAKER [was "FAG one last time"]

Thu Mar 15 18:58:53 UTC 2001

A similar "in" term is "niche"--as in "niche program."  I've generally
heard it pronounced "nitch" (a little table stands in a corner niche), but
recently, with the specialized usage in business and academia, "neesh"
seems to be preferred (I've even been "corrected" once).  Someone thought
that everybody must "know" the French pronunciation of words like 'clique',
but I'm not sure this is true.  "Niche" is by now a common Am Eng word and
has followed the usual rules of borrowing; I doubt that most people think
of it as French.