CLIK/CLEEK & NATIVE SPEAKER [was "FAG one last time"]

Tony Glaser tonyglaser at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Mar 15 21:07:35 UTC 2001

>Ah, now, I'm "sheek," but the jeans are "chick."
>
>beth
>
>American Dialect Society wrote:
> >
> > I recall when Chic jeans came out in the 80s I heard my children
> > pronouncing the word as "chick".  I brought it up in a couple of
> > undergrad linguistics classes, at that time, and "chick" was the
> > nearly unanimous choice.
> >
> > BTW, do "cleek" speakers say "cleekish" or "clickish"?
> >
> > Herb

But in the 70s the popular disco band Chic was always (at least in my
hearing) pronounced "sheek", and their hit "C'est chic" _certainly_
wasn't pronounced "chick"!

Tony Glaser