synonym jokes

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Tue Mar 20 21:24:27 UTC 2001

--On Tuesday, March 20, 2001 3:01 pm -0600 Mark Odegard
<markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

> The whole genus of 'knock-knock' jokes meet this specification, I think.
> Here is a link to some Christmas ones:
> http://www.christmasjokes.co.uk/jokes/knockknock.html

Actually, knock-knock jokes take advantage of homophony, not synonymy.
I've had one (private) usable response so far, just to give you an idea of
what I mean:

Q: What did the mayonnaise say to the refrigerator
A: Shut the door. I'm dressing.

This takes advantage both of the homonymy of dressing/dressing, but also
the synonymy of mayonnaise/dressing.
(Thanks to Alice Faber.)

Lynne

M Lynne Murphy