Dirty words from the Civil War

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Thu Mar 22 20:18:19 UTC 2001

> Fascinating find.  We don't have a record of that volume at Yale,
> although we do list three other items by the versatile Dr. Lowry:

Dr. Lowry has been kind enough to supply citations to the
HDAS from his researches. He's done a quite remarkable
variety of primary-source work, and has found many very
important citations. His work on Civil-War court martials
has been especially productive--it's full of stuff like
"Corporal John Q. Public, of the 32 Maine Regiment, called
his sergeant a 'whore-fucking bastard'" etc. etc.

JTS