etymology of "gorp"

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Fri Mar 23 16:00:44 UTC 2001

In an off-topic exchange (sweet flavors with salty ones) on another mailing
list (lois-bujold), Royce Day wrote:

'gorp',[1] the standard issue snack for hikers and campers.

[1] "Good Ol' Raisins and Peanuts"
<<<<<

I asked his permission to quote him here, and he said:

Sure thing, though I have to admit I picked it up from my dimly remembered
Boy Scout camping days, so take it with a grain of salt(ed peanuts).
<<<<<

Comments? JAUL [Just Another Urban Legend]?

   Mark A. Mandel : Dragon Systems, a Lernout & Hauspie company
          Mark_Mandel at dragonsys.com : Senior Linguist
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com