Early example of "crap out"?

Mark Odegard markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 25 23:45:38 UTC 2001

--
My father, a  professor of English and writer, with a wide stock of language
at his disposal, was born in 1878 in Ohio, and used (polite!) expressions
that I rarely heard elsewhere, or only encountered in books.
A. Murie
--

Good testimony. A. Murie has to be, well, 'elderly'.

I remember my grandfather, Gus Odegard, remembering back to old Tonsberg (on
Oslofjord, in Norway) when he was less than 10 years of age, and got drug
along to visit (in the 19th century!) his elderly pipe-smoking aunt resting
in her strawy bed; he remembered her to be mentioned as somehow in her 90s:
a rather fresh chicken in 1815, perhaps with memories of the Napoleonic
wars, we think!

Three generations of word-of-mouth memory, word-of-mouth attestation can
stretch to about 250 years.