Kafka & Amerika

David Bergdahl bergdahl at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU
Wed Mar 28 13:47:53 UTC 2001

To point out the "k" spelling of Kafka's German is as relevant as
remarking that his name means "crow" in Czech.  Amerika is spelled with
a K in German: on my bookshelf there's a volume titled Amerikakunde
(from my Fulbright tour).. it just means Americanistics or
America-Studies, nothing political intended.  The spelled with a K in
the 60s DOES politicize the name by the trope German=fascist but that
has nothing to do with Kafka.  (The first paragraph of his novel is a
shocker for Americans: the Statue of Liberty carries, not a torch, but a
sword, like Bavaria at the Oktoberfest)

-- db