JAZZ <-- JASS

Rudolph C Troike rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu Mar 29 08:57:07 UTC 2001

In none of the recent discussion of the origin of "jazz" on ADS-L have I
seen any reference to Burns' recent series on PBS. Didn't anyone watch it?
The first segment spends a lot of time on the emergence of the musical
style, and at least visually documents the earliest spellings on signs in
New Orleans as JASS. (I suppose lexicographers don't consider these
"texts" to be used for citation, but they certainly seem to be valid
evidence.) The narrator specifically attributes the change from JASS to
JAZZ to one group leader (I don't recall his name or the date.)
        Perhaps some MoA searches for JASS rather than JAZZ would turn
up some hits. Searching for JAZZ may have been barking up the wrong tree.

        Rudy Troike