Y'all and No?

Douglas Bigham TlhovwI at AOL.COM
Thu Mar 29 16:02:36 UTC 2001

(not a reply, but another question)

I've also noticed non-southern widespread use of "y'all" (or "ya'll" as I was once corrected in my spelling)so, also concerning "y'all":

Does anyone know if, in the 'lects where this is 2nd person plural, has "y'all" has taken on a more polite meaning than "you"?

We were discussing "tu" vs. "vous" in class yesterday and it came to me as a possibility that "y'all" could be developing the politeness distinction that "vous" has.

Or maybe I've got an overactive imagination.

-dsb