hot dogs (yet again)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Mar 29 04:31:36 UTC 2001

At 8:50 PM -0500 3/28/01, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>    Tomorrow, I'll round up the stuff and tell New York Daily News
>cartoonist Bill Gallo that New York Evening Journal cartoonist T. A.
>Dorgan did NOT coin "hot dog" at the Polo Grounds in 1905.  I'll
>demand a correction.
>    I'll also tell him that I solved the Big Apple, the Great White
>Way, the meaning of the "fan," the Subway Series, the Yankees, the
>Bronx Bombers...and these two, from his own New York Daily News.

I hereby propose to Barry (with many witnesses) that he take some
time off from his travels to publish a book, with chapters devoted to
these various solutions.  I realize that some of these have appeared
in print already, especially in various publications of Jerry
Cohen's, but I think there would be a market for a single resource
collecting the actual histories (and some discussion of the
pseudo-histories) of these core items of Americana.  After all, book
publishers aren't (or shouldn't be) only devoted to distributing
MISinformation...

larry