Pittsburgh reporter needs help

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Fri Mar 30 12:37:22 UTC 2001

I've encountered recognition of "Yankee bump" by five individuals from
Elizabeth PA and vicinity. They are all of ages around 70, I think.

One remarked, "I haven't heard that for a long time."

None recognized a specific hill. Judging from the one (apparently
overwritten) Web reference turned up by Google, this MIGHT have been merely
an informal designation by local kids.

Two stated specifically that Yankee bumps were things which were purposely
formed from snow by sledders in order to become airborne (like ski-jumps),
rather than simply bumps which happened to be present. One stated that the
idea was to feel the swooping sensation, another stated (presumably
sarcastically) that the idea was to break one's sled.

One recognized the sled name "Yankee Clipper".

-- Doug Wilson