Military industrial complex lays Pommy lexicographer low

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Tue May 1 15:03:30 UTC 2001

>This song has lexicographical interest.  "Wild blue yonder" is parsed by many
>people as a noun phrase and used in conversation that way.  ("I lost my
>wallet.  I guess it's gone into the wild blue yonder.")  I don't have any
>citations for this, nor can I prove that the original intent of the first line
>was that "blue" was the noun and "yonder" was an adverb ("wild blue, yonder").
>I certainly never parsed it as an adverb as a child or when I was in the USAF.
>However, I grew up in the south where we did in fact use "yonder" as an
>adverb.  (Not as an adjective, though.)

An interesting point. But "yonder" alternatively can be taken as a "noun"
by analogy with other constructions. Compare:

"We go off into the wild blue yonder."
"I looked into the far yonder."
"We live in the here and now."
"I inquired as to the where and when."