Uzbekistan proverbs

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat May 5 13:42:55 UTC 2001

   Greetings from Samarkand.
   LONELY PLANET--CENTRAL ASIA has "manty" (not in reivsed OED?) and "manat" (not in revised OED) and spells it "medressa" in the glossary.
   The locals in Bukhara provided me with these proverbs--not all local.

First think, then speak.

Better late than never.

Better measure seven times than cut once.

Don't put your work for tomorrow which you can do today.

Gold can be seen in the grass; Man in labour.

Labour is good for the appetite, but a lazy man runs from labour.
(Explained to me as the working man eats well--ed.)

Quarreling of just married couple lasts till the handkerchief will dry.
(Explained to me that newlyweds have short arguments--ed.)

Good person leaves a garden; bad man leaves a spot.

Samarkand is the most beautiful; Bukhara is the centre of Islam.

Don't have much money; have many friends.

The House begins from the threshold.

If you want to do some remark to your bride, punish your daughter.
(I don't understand this--ed.)

A bird behaves as it sees in its nest.

It's better to be hungry than to eat junk food.
(I supplied the Americanism there when they couldn't finish--ed.)

The one who has strong biceps can beat one.  The one who has strong mind can beat 1,000.

Stretch your legs according to your blanket.
(Explained as don't bite more than you can chew--ed.)

Happiness is not in money--but in its quantity.
(Explained as a Russian bit of humor--ed.)

A friend is known when trouble comes.

>From cradle to grave seek knowledge.

Seeking for knowledge is like digging a well with a needle.
(I didn't tell them about the Turkmenistan carpet proverb!  People in Central Asia must dig for lots of wells with needles!--ed.)

FOOD PROVERBS:
Cucumber/apricot/watermelons/melons/plums are not to be mixed with water.

Fish with milk are not to be consumed.

"Obi-nabot"/"water of nabot" (crystal sugar)
(Written in this section--ed.)

"SLANG" WORD:
"udu"--typical exclamation, pronounced "ee bee"