spoot-canned

Gregory {Greg} Downing gd2 at NYU.EDU
Mon May 7 14:04:33 UTC 2001

At 09:42 AM 5/5/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>I've heard many euphemisms for being dumped by an organization, but
>spoot-canned is a new one....  The term can be found at:
>
>http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/01/05/07/010507oppetreley.xml
>
>"...announced in his column that he was laid off (aka downsized, riffed,
>cost-synergized, liberated from the shackles of financial security, add
>your favorite insincere equivalent of 'spoot-canned' here)."  A
>statement by Nicholas Petreley, in his column The Open Source, in
>Infoworld, 4 May 2001.
>
>George Cole  gscole at ark.ship.edu
>Shippensburg University

"Canned" is fairly obvious. I don't know the whole history of "spoot," but
it *is* a catch-word or personal expletive often used by one of the two lead
characters in the TV cartoon series _The Angry Beavers_ (1997 or so -
present), which looks to have something of a cult following. See e.g.:

http://members.tripod.com/~foab/links.htm

Greg Downing, at greg.downing at nyu.edu or gd2 at nyu.edu