[DSNA] RE: Query re the non-divinity of lexicographers

Mon May 21 15:50:58 UTC 2001

Larry Solan's book is called THE LANGUAGE OF JUDGES. It was published by the
University of Chicago Press. It is terrific.

My own article on the phrase YOU SUCK! and its congeners will appear in
DICTIONARIES; it takes on some issues involving the reliability of dictionary
usage labels in a legal context (a free-speech trial). I'm also working on a
piece on the use of dictionaries in trademark cases, with particular
reference to issues of genericness.

And I believe that I have already posted a notice about the article in
DICTIONARIES several years ago called "The Dictionary as Witness."