Carded vs Proofed

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Thu May 24 14:30:55 UTC 2001

> A New Yorker recently told me that there you are "proofed" when asked to show
> proof of age at a store. In the Midwest, and elsewhere, I've only heard
> "carded." What's the distribution of "proofed"?

I've had this discussion a very great deal, starting with when I left
New York to go to college in the Midwest and couldn't figure out what
the hell this "carded" thing was. As far as I can determine after much
inquiry, "proof" is limited strictly to the New York metropolitan
area, including suburban Long Island and Westchester and New Jersey
but not including exurban Connecticut and NJ.

Best,

Jesse Sheidlower
OED